WELCOME TO MATHS PASSPORT
Maths Passport is a simple, low-cost, high-impact whole school approach to the teaching and learning of Mental Arithmetic, upon which all Mathematical Reasoning and Problem Solving is built.
Our mission is to develop children’s mental calculation accuracy, speed and associated strategies using proven techniques applied in a creative, engaging environment whilst raising the profile of mathematics throughout school communities across the globe.
HOW IT WORKS
Subscriptions are purchased to cover a whole school, with unlimited usage throughout the school year. Each child receives a Passport containing up to six mathematical targets which have been derived from the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum and the National Curriculum 2014.
The passports are stepped, with regular (fortnightly) testing and once a child demonstrates that they have confidently met their targets, they move on to the next passport.
SCHOOL LEADERSHIP REQUIREMENTS
Where schools have successfully implemented Maths Passport, five common themes are found:
- A commitment of the Senior Leaders and Teachers to spend regular curriculum time (short but often) on Maths Passport
- Effective CPD on Mental Arithmetic
- A clear definition of mastery so that objectives are signed off appropriately
- Regular monitoring of Maths Passport
- Regular contact with parents
As a result of using Maths Passport, schools have reported:
- Wider and more progressive investigation and problem solving (because number doesn’t get in the way)
- Pupils making links between different aspects of Maths
- Pupil independence and confidence in Maths growing
- Exam success in England, through improved SAT Paper 1 score